Six weekends: One 4-day weekend followed by five 3-day weekends…19 days of Experience, Expansion, and Growth
Over this 6-weekend series, you will learn the full basic skill set (the Core Competencies) of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP).
You’ll also fulfill the pre-requisite for our Masters course.
What’s included in the new NLP Core Competencies curriculum?
Marin-style NLP emphasizes learning to accept and respect what is and what has already been. We honor you as you are, and we invite you to learn to do that for yourself as well. And then we ask, “Okay, regarding those goals and dreams of yours, what would you like?” Then we get to work.
Our courses are highly experiential. Working with each other is a lot of fun, and we do spend a lot of time laughing as we notice how normal our biggest fears actually are. It’s amazing how well and quickly it all works.
(Note: NLP Core Competencies of Communication and Change combines (and replaces) NLP1: Foundations of Communication and Change and NLP2: Advanced Communication and Change)
What you’ll gain:
- Personal change. Gain exceptional clarity about what you want to create and have unfold in your future. Then learn how to shift old, ineffectual patterns that keep you “stuck” in unchanging experience.
- More effective change work with others. Learn more tools to uncover, understand and unlock old patterns of behavior that have become outdated. Learn new techniques to change or shift those patterns. Begin to see and develop the ability to understand the structure of beliefs and how to change them.
- Increased life success. Applying your new tools and skills in your own, original ways will enable you to communicate more effectively and establish a unique presence in your life. Also the practice you get each weekend and at your weekly study groups enables you to become exceptionally clear about what you want to create and what you would like to experience in all your day-to-day interactions.
- Language skills. You’ll learn a way to use language to precipitate conscious change. You’ll also use storytelling and metaphor to enhance communication with the unconscious mind.
Specific tools covered over the 19-day course
- Rapport skills. Learn to distinguish between levels of rapport, “the difference that makes the difference” when you need deeper access to a person’s unconscious mind. Develop the ability to build rapport with absolutely anyone, anywhere, any time. Your conscious learning from NLP Core Competencies will integrate all the way into the wonderfully handy domain of “unconscious competence” when it becomes a part of you are.
- Discovering and clarifying desired outcomes. Develop even more skill at guiding people to identify what they want, personally and professionally. Learn the art of asking questions that cause “stuck” present-tense situations and patterns to spontaneously open toward movement and positive change.
- Reframing. Learn how to create change through the spoken word. Gradually develop more and more skill in utilizing the art of “specific vagueness” to enhance communication and understanding.
- Learn “meta-model” basics. These are precise question patterns derived from the work of Virginia Satir and Fritz Perls that work magically to unlock and unstick an unproductive experience.
- Gain instant, respectful access to people’s unconscious barriers. You also will learn the trademark question of Marin-style NLP: “What stops you?” A very simple question which, when asked correctly, gives us access to volumes of entirely unconscious experience in just a few seconds. This is a life-changing event for everyone who learns it.
- Uncover and understand pattern ecology. We take a holistic approach to human experience. We delve deeply into personal ecology and learn many ways to uncover and understand the very important reasons patterns have existed in someone’s life up to this point. Artful change always takes these important reasons into account so we can create change without having negative, unintended consequences as a result of positive change.
- Discover the structure of human experience. Human experience is created neurologically using the pathways of our five senses. We dig into the structure of human experience to uncover each other’s “strategies”–the hugely unconscious patterning that determines the success or failure, the easefulness or painfulness, of all of our experience, motivation, decision-making and learning. You will learn explicit procedures to discover and rewrite all of your old, “dysfunctional” or un-motivation-producing programming, installing instead more productive and useful patterning.
- Learn story-telling, metaphors and hypnotic language. Learn how to use story and metaphor to create change and increase influential memorability. You develop your skill in using hypnotic language patterning to enhance impact and understanding while learning to conduct multiple, simultaneous conversations with many different levels of the unconscious mind.
- Test for NLP Practitioner Certificate. Included in the price is an opportunity to test for your Practitioner’s Certificate. Not only is this an opportunity to be certified but it’s also an incredible learning and integration experience for anyone who participates.
- Be part of a happy, supportive community. Our students are focused on personal and professional change and come from all walks of life. You’ll study with CEO’s, health practitioners, coaches, psychologists, parents and everything in between. NLP Marin if for anyone and everyone. Our community is a testament to the effective, flexible nature of the work. Also, by working with your classmates over an extended period of time, you discover an exquisite experience of friendship and camaraderie as you learn and grow together.
NLP Marin classes are completely experiential.
Our class time is usually about 25% lecture and other highly interactive presentations, about 25% live demonstration of the material being covered, and at least 50% “live-in-person” practice with fellow students.
Our training weekends are designed to transfer information and to allow that information to transform itself into elegant and powerful behavioral know-how. Each weekend includes— actually, each weekend emphasizes—lots and lots of practice with other students to ensure your understanding.
We believe our students experience such a high level of proficiency because they get so much opportunity to practice their skills, and to be with and learn from each other in a safe and caring way.
NLP Marin is unique in that we also provide multiple study group sessions every week, conducted by our Training Assistants, at many locations around the San Francisco Bay Area. Practice, practice, practice leads to an exceptional level of integration and implementation.
Who benefits from learning these remarkable communication and change skills?
These skills are directly useful for:
- Managers, leaders and trainers: You learn skills to build and sustain rapport with anyone, anywhere, anytime. Managers improve their ability to hire and fire, to coach, to motivate, and to give feedback to their teams. Trainers and meeting facilitators are better able to take charge and hold the attention of the group, regardless of whether group energy is supposed to be sourced from the leadership or from the team. Leaders (of all kinds) learn to understand, accept and respect the internal maps that others are working from. The complaint “I just can’t understand how they can be like that!” usually disappears from the team space.
- Therapists, counselors, health practitioners and coaches: You learn to elegantly, rapidly clarify both the immediate and deep outcomes of your clients and patients. In this skill set, therapists discover a reliably miraculous method for gaining in-the-moment, respectful access to the deep unconscious content of the client’s experience. Moreover, this skill set allows the practitioner to immediately work with this unconscious material, to quickly revise stuck and dysfunctional patterning, should this be desirable in the client/practitioner process. (NLP Marin is possibly the only teaching center—NLP or otherwise—that has the expertise and experience to successfully transfer this know-how to our students. Mastery of this material is essentially unavailable elsewhere.) Practitioners of all kinds learn to work with clients to develop truly compelling motivation toward fulfillment of long-desired dreams and outcomes. Coaches gain increased skills to assist their clients in articulating meaningful new realities and creating congruent shifts toward ultimate outcome-based goals.
- People wanting better personal relationships: All of our students learn everything in this course at least three different ways. You will learn to use these tools, perceptions and paths toward new action 1) with yourself, 2) with others, and 3) by offering support to everyone who participates with you during the learning adventure. You will learn to experience and revise both your own map of reality and that of many others. This broad, private-but-intimate experience enables everyone to gain new insights into themselves and to grow into wider and richer wisdom about life and about what makes human beings the way they are. Your new relationship with yourself will give you an increased ability to create safety and intimacy with others.
- Anyone seeking personal change: Many of our students join us in the intention to explore and accomplish highly personal change work. Over many years of training experience, we have found that the best way to grow as an individual is not only to have the change patterns and techniques applied to you, but also to stretch yourself and assist others in changing. Many of our students come into our courses with the conscious intention to learn to change and better manage others, only to realize—months or years later—that what they learned and did absolutely transformed their own lives as well. At the other end of the spectrum, many students come to us with the voiced intention of working only on themselves and gradually discover that the experience of being in the “practitioner chair,” in which they make themselves available to help someone else, is the most valuable and powerful component of creating growth and change in themselves.
Training Assistants (TA’s): Assistants are selected from among NLP Marin graduates who have achieved a high level of integration. We have a ratio of at least 5 students to 1 TA, or better, so that there is almost always an assistant observing an exercise who can give skilled feedback.
Supervised practice supports integrating these powerful tools into your behavior so that they are automatically and naturally available to enhance communication and connection with others and to make life choices previously not available to you. The perceptual and behavioral skills and tools that you will learn have been proven to work wherever people are relating and working together.
Study Groups (Included in the price): Not only do you learn all essential NLP tools, but there are also weekly supervised study groups to facilitate your understanding and integration of the work. TA’s participate in these study groups as well as overseeing class exercises.
Missed classes: If you have to miss a day or weekend, you will be given access to the videos of your class so you can see what you missed in class and then integrate the material in your study group.
Miscellaneous: Students are expected to bring their own lunch or go out to a local restaurant. Tea and hot and cold water are provided. Read more important information about how we run our courses in general.